When it comes to getting the temperature right in your home, then you can’t go far wrong with an electric fan. These things keep spinning throughout the day circulating old air and reducing the overall heating. But have you ever considered how these fans can be so inefficient?
If you want to reduce your energy consumption from your mains, then you might already have considered using solar energy. This is a method of energy-saving that won’t sap anything from your mains and will give you everything that you need for consistent fan blowing throughout the day.
If you do have an attic, then having one of these roof-mounted solar panels will be a great method of maintaining the temperature of your home. Attics are rarely visited, so you’ll want a fan that will keep the air cool without you having to climb up a ladder to interfere.
So what are the best solar attic fans for your needs? What great design features do these devices have to maintain the cool flow of your attic space? What materials should a decent solar fan be made from? How much will you have to pay for one of these solar attic fans?
Well, if you are wanting answers to all of these questions, then we would suggest that you keep reading.
We’ve compiled a list of some of the best solar attic fans that you can currently find on the market. We also have a buyer’s guide that will help you to determine what the best features are and how each one will be suitable for your particular attic.
OUR TOP PICK
This first fan really is a heavy-duty model, coming with a powder coating that will make the solar panel part highly resistant to hail and water.
This is great for maintaining the integrity of your panel and ensuring that the device will keep running even during adverse weather conditions - introducing the 20-Watt Solar Attic Fan.
This solar panel is amazing for saving you energy on your home. With this solar panel, you’ll also be able to claim a 30% tax credit off your next bill.
This is ideal for when those summer months come around and you’re seeing your energy bill skyrocket just to keep your attic cool.
- This product will be able to survive even the harshest weather conditions. It comes with a powder coating on the outside that will prevent your solar panel from scratching.
- This attic fan was built to withstand windstorms, so you won’t have to worry about it malfunctioning even when it gets hairy out there.
- This comes with an automatic switch that will activate when the daylight reaches a certain level.
- This comes in many different wattages, so no matter how big your attic is, you’ll be able to find a fan that can accommodate.
- This is very heavy-duty, which might lead to installation issues. We would recommend hiring a specialist to fix your fan on the roof.
Next up, we have a portable solar fan that is perfect for keeping your smaller attic spaces cooler.
This you can set up within minutes, ideal for anyone who is not an expert when it comes to electrical equipment but wants their attic to be cooler in the summer months - introducing the Eco-Worthy 25W Solar Powered Attic Ventilator Gable Roof Vent Fan.
This fan comes with 5 rotating aluminum blades, all of which are perfect for keeping any amount of space cool.
This fan can be established in smaller spaces and can operate with very little light. We would certainly recommend that you get one of these if you have a smaller house with no attic window access.
- You can purchase a battery with this fan, so if you are experiencing heavy cloud coverage, then this is a great option.
- You can be sure that this attic fan will be very efficient, utilizing even the smallest amount of light to get the best results.
- This fan is very portable and lightweight, perfect if you are going to have to lug it up a few flights of stairs.
- This is made from durable alloy and steel, so you won’t have to worry about it getting dinged and damaged, which could affect its functionality over time.
- Some users have claimed that the power for this fan isn’t that amazing, with others even claiming occasional power failure.
Next up, we have a fan that comes made from solid steel that you can be sure will last you for years if you take care of it correctly. This one you can stick out in any weather and it will still work to 100% capacity. This comes with easy-to-assemble instructions, perfect for the DIY novice - introducing the Natural Light Solar Attic Fan.
This comes with a very powerful fan-blade rotor, which is also perfect for anyone who wants that nice strong draught in their attic.
If you have mold growing in your attic and want to improve the circulation, then this is a great model to have. If you mount this at a 45-degree angle, then you’ll get the maximum exposure to sunlight.
- Easy to set up - if you are someone who doesn’t particularly like DIY, then this is certainly the roof fan for you.
- This will operate in all modes of light, even if you have heavy cloud coverage, then this solar panel will still work at full capacity.
- This comes with a 25-year warranty, which gives you that extra peace of mind if you ever need to return it for a fault.
- This comes with sturdy steel blades which will cut through the air easily and will be able to withstand all the bangs and dings from installation.
- This is another very heavy-duty model, so be sure that you have enough people to help you mount it onto your roof.
This next solar panel comes with some amazing adjustable features, giving you the ability to be able to direct it anywhere to catch the maximum amount of sunlight.
This comes mounted on a plinth that you can rotate in any number of directions, made from military-grade material - introducing the iLiving Hybrid Ready Smart Thermostat Solar Roof Attic Exhaust Fan.
This fan can be kept running throughout the night, so if you are having difficulty with the heat in your attic, then this is a good fan to keep going all day and all night.
This fan is also very waterproof, so you won’t have to worry about leaving it outside in a downpour. This reliability is what has given this solar panel such a high rating.
- This solar panel will run on very little battery and comes with an adaptor that you can use when the light is low.
- This has a large venting capacity, so if you are wanting to cool down a larger attic space, then this is the model to have.
- This comes with 7-inch blades that will quickly cool down any area that you need. If you are looking for wider coverage, then this is the fan for you.
- This product is the number 1 seller in the region, which is a testament to how much craftsmanship and good materials go into it.
- This might be a little too heavy-duty for some users, so make sure that you really need the ventilation before buying.
This next solar panel is one that is low profile, able to absorb as much sunlight as possible. This works great even in low lighting conditions, making it one of the best fans for larger attic spaces.
It can reduce the temperature in a 2,000 square foot attic by around 20 degrees at full setting - introducing the Broan-NuTone 345SOWW Surface Mount Solar-Powered Attic.
This fan is a little more compact than some of the others on this list, coming in a 12-inch design with 5 steel blades that will turn fast and continuously.
You don’t have to just use this one in your attic, but you can also use it in your RV as it is one of the most portable units on this list.
- This low-profile unit can resist a lot of extreme weather conditions that some of the other solar panels just can’t.
- This comes as a 12-inch unit, perfect for anyone who is having difficulty with space in their home and needs something they can fit through the door.
- The price - this is a very affordable unit, so if you are a family looking to save money across the board, then you can’t go far wrong with this one.
- This is a very reliable fan, it will give you consistent output and make sure that your living area or attic is cooler for longer.
- This does not come with a thermostat. So if you want that premium level of control over your heating, then we would recommend buying one separately.
This next one is another roof-mounted number, coming with a compact solar panel that you can store easily when it is not in use.
During the summer months, you can whip out this fan and ventilate any area that is upwards of 2,000 square feet. This is a great fan for using during your vacation too - introducing the QuietCool 40 Watt Solar Powered Roof Mount Attic Fan.
This is one of the cheaper models that runs ultra-quiet, which is perfect if you have any children or elderly family members and you don’t want to wake them.
This is a very reliable solar attic fan, you can install it easily on the roof of your home, although we would recommend using a professional.
- This unit is one of the quietest that we have on this list, making it great for reducing the amount of noise pollution your neighbors will hear.
- This comes with a tilt function that you can use to absorb the most sunlight possible. You should try and get a 45-degree angle on most houses.
- This comes with a built-in thermostat, which is perfect for monitoring the temperature and giving you exactly what you want to within the degree.
- This will be able to ventilate around 2,000 square feet, which is amazing when you consider the size of the fan itself.
- The price - this is slightly more expensive than some of the other units, so if you want to save up cash, then you might want to downgrade to a cheaper model.
Our final solar panel is a standard free-standing panel that you can affix to any surface that you need. This is perfect if you have some free space on your roof or the side of your house that gets plenty of light coverage.
This has 10-inches of solar panel which you can use to cool down over 1,500 square feet of attic space - introducing the Amtrak Solar Powerful 50-Watt Galvanized Steel New Upgraded 14-Inch Fan Housing.
This portable unit is also very low priced, so you won’t have to spend a shedload on it to get your money’s worth.
This is also great for cooling down any room, especially if you are going on vacation in your RV. This can be installed in sheds and cabins too, perfect if the heat tends to get trapped in a poorly insulated holiday home.
- This comes with a free thermostat thrown in, which is great for anyone who wants pinpoint accuracy regarding their heating.
- This can ventilate a wide area, so if your attic room comes with too much space, then we would suggest that you pick up this one.
- This comes with a 50-watt solar panel, which is great in terms of power, keeping your fan going all day if necessary.
- This is also a very eco-friendly model, which will save you a lot on gas and electricity and perhaps even earn you some tax credits.
- This might not have the high level of power that you might get from some of the more expensive models.
Best Solar Attic Fan Buying Guide
If you are going to buy your very own solar attic fan, then there are a few basic features that you’re going to want from it. We would recommend that you look for the following:
Does It Come With A Thermostat?
As you have seen already, some of these fans do not come with a thermostat. What these temperature monitors do is isolate exactly how cool your attic is going to be. If you want to get it to a certain level, then we would recommend searching for a fan with a free thermostat.
Does It Control Mold?
One of the reasons why you might be buying yourself a solar fan is to reduce the risk of mold and growths that can often build up when you have poor ventilation in your attic. Make sure that your solar fan mentions mold-reducing capabilities in the promotional literature.
Best Solar Attic Fan - FAQ's
How Long Should A Solar Panel Last?
If you are looking after it properly, there is no limit to how long you can have your solar panel for. However, after a few years, the excessive light exposure will cause your panel to become less functional. You should ideally get your panel replaced after a few years, as this will improve performance.
Do Attic Fans Improve Things?
Yes, they do. Not only have they been proven to reduce energy consumption and lower the cost of your bills, but they will also keep your home remarkably cool. We would definitely recommend getting one if your house is getting warmer than you know it should.
How Many Attic Fans Are The Perfect Amount?
This will all depend on the size of your attic and exactly what type of fans that you’ll be installing. If you have a generally weaker fan, then you might have to install more than one. The same goes if you have a really large attic space. If you have a vaulted ceiling, this will also affect how many fans that you’ll need to install in your home.