Home surveillance has significantly improved over recent years. With more homeowners looking for ways to secure their home’s and family’s safety, different versions of surveillance are now packed with impressive features.
One company that has stepped up in the home surveillance game is Netgear. With the releases of Arlo and Arlo pro, security around and inside your home has never been better. Both versions have more standard features and add-ons than the majority of other cameras on the market.
Although both are exceptional pieces of security equipment, it can be tricky to know which one is best for your needs. While the Arlo is a great quality camera that is packed with features, the Arlo Pro raises the ante with some stand-out improvements. Which form of surveillance is best for you entirely depends on your needs as well as your budget.
In today’s article, we will be taking a closer look at these two cameras. We will compare them against each other and guide you through their strengths and weaknesses. We will also find out more about the usability of each camera so you can decide which is best for you.
If you want to find out the full comparison, continue reading. If you’re in a rush and need to know the winner now, go for the Arlo Pro. We found that it boasts a wider range of impressive features and, although it has a higher price tag, it’s certainly value for money.
Arlo VS Arlo Pro: The Main Differences
There are some key differences between the Arlo and Arlo Pro security systems. Below is a full list of these key differences:
- The Arlo Pro comes supplied with rechargeable battery packs. These recharge exceptionally quickly while the Arlo battery is run by CR123A 3v batteries that need replacing every so often.
- The Arlo Pro sports two-way communication with a built-in microphone and speaker. The Arlo Pro has no such offering.
- The Arlo Pro has a response time to notification of 3 seconds compared to Arlo’s time of 8 seconds.
- Additional storage is provided in the base unit of the Arlo Pro. This is in case you ever lose internet signal. The standard Arlo only offers Cloud storage.
- Arlo Pro has infrared motion technology that features a sleep mode to save battery life. The Arlo security camera does not feature this.
- The Arlo Pro has a 100db siren that goes off when motion is detected while the standard Arlo has no such feature.
- The Arlo Pro has two alternative power sources (a solar panel and an AC plug). The standard Arlo is only operated by batteries.
- The original Arlo has a 100-degree field of view whereas the Arlo Pro offers a wider shot, reaching 130 degrees.
- The standard Arlo can work in temperatures from 14 – 113 degrees Fahrenheit. The Arlo Pro can work in a wider range of temperatures from -4 to 122 degrees Fahrenheit.
As you can see, the Arlo Pro trumps the standard Arlo in many features. Of course, this is no surprise given its superior name tag.
Arlo VS Arlo Pro: Things In Common
While there are some stark differences between these two cameras, they do share some similarities.
- Both use batteries as a power source meaning they are 100% wireless.
- Both use HD quality imaging.
- The two cameras can be used with either version of the base station.
- Each camera is fully water-resistant as well as weatherproof meaning they can be set up outdoors.
- It’s possible to purchase the Arlo Smart Upgrade with each device.
- Both cameras offer seven-day cloud storage.
- They are compatible with smart home systems such as Alexa, Wink, Echo, IFTTT, and many more.
- Infrared night vision is featured on the two cameras.
Arlo VS Arlo Pro: Comparison
As we mentioned, both the Arlo and Arlo Pro are water-resistant and waterproof. Therefore, you can mount either one outdoors without worrying about any sort of damage caused by the elements. Of course, you should try and ensure they are set up out of areas where water frequently builds up.
If you live in a wet climate, we recommend mounting them out of the water as prolonged exposure to rain can see water creep inside the camera.
Whether you need a camera in your backyard or on your front doorstep, either one is ideal. But, the Arlo Pro allows you to communicate with whoever is at your door without having to leave the sofa.
While we are on the subject of communication, we need to discuss Arlo Pro’s two-way communication feature. This is not offered by the standard Arlo camera, however.
Arlo Pro cameras come with a microphone and a speaker built-in so you can see whoever is outside as well as hear and speak to them. This technology allows you to see who is ringing your doorbell or lurking by your home from your phone or computer. This is ideal if you can’t make it to the door right away.
Due to this two-way communication technology, the Arlo Pro is a must for anyone who can’t get to the door as quickly as they would like.
All Arlo cameras come with cloud storage. Netgear gives you seven day’s worth of storage for free. In the world of home security, this is quite a unique offer. When used correctly, you may never need to pay for a monthly storage plan again.
However, if you think you will need more storage, you can opt for Netgear’s monthly subscription plan instead. When it comes to the Arlo Pro, storage goes a step further. This allows you to back up your feeds if you want to save an image or video. It also allows you to store your surveillance if the internet is down.
While both models offer 7 days of free storage, the chance to backup your surveillance feeds with the Arlo Pro, even when the net is down, means it comes out on top.
Both Arlo cameras run on batteries. Depending on use, location, and climate, these batteries can last up to four months.
The standard Arlo camera does not come with rechargeable batteries. Instead, the old batteries need to be replaced when they run out of juice. However, you can purchase rechargeable batteries if desired.
The Arlo Pro does come with a rechargeable battery pack and offers a quick charge. Therefore, there is never a risk that your cameras will be down for long periods of time while they wait for the batteries to charge.
Both cameras also come with power cords to plug into a standard outlet if required. This is if you don’t want to use batteries. When it comes to the Arlo Pro, this power cord is a great addition as it allows your camera to work while the batteries charge so no downtime is experienced.
One stand-out feature that the Arlo Pro possesses but the standard model doesn’t is its ability to connect to a solar panel power cell. This optional feature removes the need for any batteries as well as power cords.
The bonus point here goes to the Arlo Pro as it comes pre-packed with rechargeable batteries.
The Arlo camera offers constant monitoring and motion alert sensors. These then send an alert to your phone or computer to inform you that motion has been captured by your camera. This response time usually takes up to 9 seconds to get to you after the motion has been detected.
The Arlo Pro has a significantly shorter response time at 4 seconds. However, some report that it’s as low as 2 or 3 seconds.
A further benefit of using the Arlo Pro is its advanced motion detection. This allows the camera to go into a kind of sleep mode, such as your computer does. This means it will not record or use any battery.
Nevertheless, if the PIR motion sensor picks up any form of movement on the camera, it will immediately wake up, start recording and send you an alert.
With an improved response time, the Arlo Pro wins this round.
Both the Arlo and Arlo Pro continue to work with Netgear’s original system even though they have upgraded the base receiver. They also work with the new receiver as well.
If you already have an Arlo system set up around your home, this is great as you can upgrade the system but continue to use your old base. Simply purchase a new camera and pair it with your system.
Both cameras are equal in this regard so are ideal for those who already own an Arlo security system.
And The Winner Is…
Netgear’s Arlo security systems are some of the best on the market. They are reliable cameras that make true every promise they make.
If you’re on a tighter budget, the standard Arlo model is more than good enough. If you want additional security features at extra cost, the Arlo Pro is the best option.
Although more expensive, its improved features are completely worth it. You will receive a siren to alert you on movement outside, additional USB storage, reliable alternate power supply options, and two-way communications. In other words, everything you need for top-quality home security.